2010年5月5日水曜日

ASSIGNMENT #1

EESL545 Section70

Assignment #1

Yuco Tanaka


Myself As a Writer



  1. I do not remember how I was taught writing skills when I was little. Usually, the first graders are taught Japanese alphabets called Hiragana, at first. Then, they learn another Japanese alphabets called Katakana. And finally, they learn how to write a sentence. It takes about two months to learn Hiragana and Katakana. Japanese children enter a school when they are six. But, most children already know Hiragana and can write short sentences before six. Since I also knew Hiragana and could write short sentences before entering the school, I remember I felt why the school teacher teaches things so slow.


  1. When I was a grade school student, I liked to write a poem and original stories. So, I believed I was good at writing and compositions. Actually, sometimes my poem and composition won a prize in the writing contest. However, as I grew, I became to dislike writing lessons. Especially, I did no like to learn how to use manuscript paper, chinese characters, sentence structures, and so on. I think writing is same as art and music. Of course, teaching basic elements of writing is important, but stirring up creative impulse is also important. I think Japanese teachers put too much emphasize on grammatical and technical aspects of writing.


  1. Before I took an exam to be a teacher, I decided to take a three days essay class because the score from an essay task occupies most of the total exam points. The examinees had to write a 2000 words essay in two hours. On the first day of the essay class, the professor asked students to write an essay according to a title, and I received “D” score. I got into a muddle because the day of examination was coming in two weeks. However, the professor comprehensibly taught us practical techniques to write a persuasive essay. The professor told that most examinees write a three-paragraph essay consists of an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. So, he said, we could make markers more impressed when we wrote a four-paragraph essay consists of a prologue, event, turn & change, and epilogue. On the third day of the essay class, I received “A” score, and also I passed the exam after all.


  1. I like to write a imaginary story and an essay based on a personal experience. Instead, I do not like to write a book report. This is probably because I am not a good reader. I am not good at extracting main points from a reading.


  1. As I answered on the previous question, I am not good at reading. Especially, I do not like to read in English. When I was an undergraduate student in Seattle, I could not concentrate on reading a textbook. I tried to read and read, but since I was not concentrated, I did not understand anything even after spending two hours on reading. One reason for my bad reading habit comes from a feeling of inferiority. Most students in my class were native English speakers; thus, they were used to English reading compared to me. When I read a textbook, unconsciously I felt I am a bad reader, and I could not concentrate on reading. I usually try to conscientiously read all assignments, but not more than was required. I read the bare minimum. If I tried to read lots of English literatures, I think, I could be a better English writer.


  1. Most of the time, I usually write individually. I remember I have done a collaboration writing only two or three times. I prefer to write by myself because I don't need to worry about what my parter is thinking. When I did a collaboration writing with three students, it was difficult to discuss a topic bluntly. Everyone hesitated to speak up; therefore, it took so long to put together each person's thought.


  1. My writings have won a prize several times and were published in the collection of essays written by students. But, usually I won a prize for my poem or short-essays. I think I am not good at writing a long essay. Winning a prize made me happy, but I do not think it affected me as a writer.


  1. I have been keeping a web-log for six years. I post a log only when I feel like to do so. Therefore, one day, I post several logs, and on the other day, I do not post any log. This style works for me because I do not need to feel pressured. If I decided to keep a log everyday, I could not have continued the web-log so long. I am motivated to write especially when my friends give me a comment about my writing. Besides web-log, I sometimes wrote a poem and drew an illustration when I was an undergraduate student in Seattle. As I mentioned before, I think writing is similar to art and music. So, I try to write something when my creative impulse springs.


  1. Since I am an elementary school teacher, I need to write a thesis. And sometimes I am asked to write a topic that is not unprofessional. At that time, I try not to check other person's work before I finish a draft. This is because, If I read a someone's work beforehand, unconsciously I imitate it. After I write a draft, I gather information of previous works, and use them to improve my writing. As an adult, I do not think I am a good writer, but I think writing is fun because it is very creative.


  1. I like to read detective stories. I especially like to read stories written by Agatha Christie. I also like to read stories based on the author's own life. I like to read short stories rather than novels. During a long vacation, I read everyday, but usually I do not read anything besides newspaper. When I read a newspaper I only skim the article to understand the main idea. I think I should read more often. Japanese writing consists of three different characters; Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji, and there are thousands of Kanji adults should know. Since I do not read often, I cannot use many Kanji when I write.


  1. I am very addicted to the internet. When I am at home, my computer is always active. I often get information from internet, and also I communicate with my friends by using e-mail, bulletin board, and chat. When I read something for an assignment, I usually print it to read because I think I cannot read carefully through the screen of computer. Also, when I write something for an assignment or a big project, I print up a draft and correct the writing on paper. I think reading and writing through paper is not exactly same from those of through internet. Especially, e-mails and paper letters are different. When I write an e-mail, I write it without constraint. I do not worry about grammar too much. But, when I write a letter on paper, I try to write more courteously. Both writings have advantages and disadvantages, so we are required to choose which style works best depending on the situation.


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿